Safety & Etiquette
Safety during training is a top priority. We want you to enjoy your training and be safe while you're out there walking or running!
Important Safety Reminders
- Don't walk or run in secluded areas or alone at night! Always try to train with a partner.
- Don't use headphones. If you do, wear only on eearpiece and keep the volume down.
- Be alert to traffic - don't assume that drivers and cyclists see you.
- Carry identification and any necessary medical information when you walk or run.
- Wear reflective clothing when working out in the dark.
- Carry a cell phone or change for a pay phone.
- Carry water and energy gel on walks and runs.
- Walk or run against traffic whenever possible.
- Obey all traffic laws; don't jaywalk or cross on a red light.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and others around you.
- Let people know your route so family and friends will know where you are.
- If you drive somewhere to walk or run don't leave valuables in your car.
- Always stay to the right on a path and pass to the left
- Warn people before you pass them — avoid startling them.
- Run or walk no more than two people abreast.
- Be polite and friendly to other walkers, runners, cyclists, etc.