Building Confidence and Reducing Falls
Many older people have had a fall experience that has shaken their confidence and may have resulted in injury. Older individuals understand that the threat of a fall can be a barrier to safely doing all the things they love to do at home and Stepping On confidently in the community. The prevention of falls is important to maintaining personal independence
This program is sponsored by the San Diego Health & Human Services Agency (HHSA) and facilitated at Tri-City Medical Center. Lead by a Tri-City Medical Center physical therapist and peer leader whom also collaborate with guest experts to provide information on exercise, visions, safety and medications.
Stepping On is a well-researched falls prevention workshop. The results were published in the September 2004 issue of the American Geriatrics Society.
Registration Available Now: Call 760.940.7873, ext. 1.
Who Can Benefit
- 65 years or over
- Has experienced a fall in the past year
- Fearful of falling
- Living at home
- Not suffering from dementia
What You Will Learn
- Simple and fun balance and strength training, with pre-and post-functional balance testing.
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance.
- How medication can contribute to falls.
- Ways to stay safe when out and about.
- How to check your home for safety, and a personal home visit by the leaders to help you identify potential hazards.
- Learn to step outside your home with confidence
- Learn with people your own age in a highly-participatory class.
- Become more aware of fall hazards and learn how your fall risk can be reduced.
- Study the most up-to-date information on falls prevention.
"When I'm walking I still think, 'lift your feet, walk heel-toe.' I have stopped falling outside! It has made me more aware of the way I walk."
"I've had some near falls but the exercises are making me stronger, I have quicker recovery and my muscles don't collapse."
No Cost For This Workshop
Free workshop includes weekly two-hour sessions for nine weeks, an exercise manual, informational hands-outs, guest speakers, a home visit, and pre-and post-balance assessments.
Tri-City Medical Center
4002 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA 92056
For More Information
Call Tracy Park, MPT, at 760.940.7873, ext. 1